Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
Table of contents
DAILY/WEEKLY VISUAL STEAM BOILER INSPECTION CHECKLISTS
for Steam Boilers and Related Equipment
The most effective way to ensure the continuous, efficient operation of your equipment is to put eyes on it regularly. Therefore, we have created this guide to facilitate daily and weekly visual inspections. Regular visual inspections combined with adherence to a regular preventative maintenance plan will help to keep your equipment in optimal condition.
These daily and weekly checks do not replace regular preventative maintenance appointments. Rather, utilize these checks as a supplement to your regularly scheduled preventative maintenance. By using this checklist, you have the opportunity to catch potential issues as early as possible. Identifying potential issues early and resolving them promptly will save you time, money and headaches down the road.
It is important to realize that the frequency of inspection will depend on variable conditions such as load, fuel, system requirements, boiler environment (indoor/outdoor), etc. This is a general list that you can customize based on your specific equipment and environment.
Daily Steam Boiler Inspection/Maintenance Tasks
- Check water level
- Check combustion visually
- Blow down boiler
- Blow down water column
- Record feedwater pressure/temperature
- Drain gauge glass
- Record flue gas temperature
- Record oil pressure and temperature
- Record gas pressure
- Treat water according to est. program
- Record atomizing air pressure
- Observe response to flame failure.
- Observe operating control /high limit control
- Bottom Blowdown- remove sludge sediment
- Observe Refractory cone- any broken chunks
Weekly Steam Boiler Inspection/Maintenance Tasks
- Inspect burner
- Inspect for flue gas leak
- Inspect for hot spots
- Check cams
- Check for tight closing of fuel valve
- Check fuel and air linkage
- Check indicating lights and alarms
- Check operating and limit controls
- Check safety and interlock controls
- Check for leaks, noise, vibration
- Check for any unusual conditions, etc.
- Check low water cutoff operation
- Remove rust/dirt from boiler mud leg or drum
- Verify burner cuts off @ low water
- Check all phases of the control circuit
- Check burner manual shutoff valves
Want to implement this at your facility?
Need more guidance? Give us a call and we can help you create a plan that works for your specific facility and equipment. Click here to schedule your personal equipment assessment.
We have created the following FREE downloadable resources for you to use.
- Daily/Weekly Steam Boiler Inspection Checklist
- Boiler Room Spare Parts Inventory
- Comprehensive Preventative Maintenance Plan Scope Example